International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated on the 8th of March every year to honour the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender equality, women’s empowerment, and the recognition of women’s contributions to our society. It’s also a great opportunity to highlight the challenges that women still face today, such as gender-based discrimination and violence, and to call for greater action to address these issues.
At Hian Skin we’re celebrating International Women’s Day as an occasion to recognise not just the achievements of women throughout history but the women in our own lives. Our mums, sisters, aunties, friends and other loved ones. It’s a great day to share with the wonderful women we look up to and let them know, just how fabulous they really are!
There are loads of ways International Women’s Day is celebrated around the world, here are some of the ways you can get involved:
- Educating yourself and others: Learn more about women’s rights and gender inequality, and spread awareness among your family, friends, and community.
- Attending events: Attend events organised by organisations that support women’s rights and gender equality. Many events are held globally to mark the day, both in person and online.
- Supporting women-owned businesses: Buy products or services from women-owned businesses or support women-led initiatives.
- Donating to women-focused organisations: Donate to organisations that support women’s rights, education, health, and economic empowerment.
- Volunteering: Volunteer your time to organisations that support women’s causes, such as domestic violence shelters, mentoring programs for girls, or literacy programs for women.
- Celebrating women in your life: Take time to appreciate and celebrate the women in your life, whether it’s your mother, sister, wife, daughter, or friend.
Remember, International Women’s Day is not just about celebrating women, but also about taking action to achieve gender equality.
So however you plan to celebrate International Women’s Day, remember, it’s not just about celebrating women, but also about taking action to achieve gender equality and maybe just telling a wonderful woman in your life, just how special she is to you.