Are you tired of dealing with skin issues and feeling anxious about your appearance? Did you know that there is a strong connection between your Skin and mental health? Not a lot of people connect the dots or have not taken the time to understand how our body is connected and how one thing can have a negative impact on another.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the science behind this connection and provide you with some practical tips to help you improve both your skin health and mental well-being.
How does stress affect our skin health?
It’s no secret that stress and anxiety can have a negative impact on our physical and mental health. But did you know that these feelings can also affect our skin? Stress and anxiety can cause hormonal changes in our bodies, which can lead to a variety of skin issues such as acne, psoriasis, and eczema.
According to the Mental Health Foundation, anxiety is one of the most common mental health conditions in the UK. In 2020, 19.2% of adults in the UK reported experiencing anxiety or depression.
It can also lead to unhealthy behaviours such as not getting enough sleep, not drinking enough water, and not eating a balanced diet. These behaviours can further exacerbate skin issues and lead to a vicious cycle of stress, anxiety, and poor skin health.
On the other hand, taking care of our skin can also have a positive impact on our mental well-being. When we feel good about our appearance, it can boost our self-confidence and improve our mood. So, what can you do to improve both your skin health and mental well-being? Let’s take a look at some practical tips.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) reported that in 2019, women were more likely than men to report that they felt anxious on a weekly basis (22.5% of women compared to 14.9% of men).
Skin and Mental health solutions
Get Enough Sleep
Getting enough sleep is crucial for both our physical and mental health. Lack of sleep can cause stress, which can lead to skin issues such as acne and eczema. Aim for at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night to give your body and mind the rest they need. Here are some tips to help you get a good night’s sleep:
- Establish a regular sleep schedule and stick to it
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine
- Avoid electronics before bedtime
- Keep your bedroom cool and dark
- Invest in a comfortable mattress and pillows
Drink Plenty of Water
Drinking plenty of water is another simple way to improve your mental health, and skin health. Water helps flush out toxins from the body, which can cause skin problems and inflammation. Aim for at least 8 glasses of water each day to stay hydrated and promote healthy skin. Here are some tips to help you drink more water:
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you throughout the day
- Flavour your water with fruits or herbs for added taste
- Set reminders on your phone to drink water
- Drink a glass of water before each meal
Eat a Balanced Diet
Eating a balanced diet that’s rich in nutrients such as vitamins and antioxidants can help improve both skin health and mental well-being. Foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins are all great options to incorporate into your diet. Here are some tips to help you eat a more balanced diet:
- Plan your meals ahead of time
- Cook more meals at home
- Try new healthy recipes
- Limit your intake of processed foods and s
Reduce Stress Levels
Stress can have a negative impact on both our skin health and mental well-being. Finding ways to reduce stress, such as practicing meditation, yoga, or deep breathing exercises, can help promote relaxation and reduce cortisol levels, which can lead to healthier skin. Here are some tips to help you reduce stress:
- Incorporate mindfulness into your daily routine
- Find a physical activity that you enjoy
- Take breaks throughout the day to relax and recharge
- Try aromatherapy with essential oils
Using gentle skincare products
Harsh chemicals and irritants can damage the skin barrier, leading to inflammation, redness, and even more serious skin conditions. At Hian Skin Care, we believe in the power of natural, vegan, organic ingredients to nourish and protect the skin.
Here are some of the ingredients we use in our products and how they can benefit your skin:
- Pure Neroli: An essential oil extracted from flowers of the bitter orange tree. Contains microbial, antifungal, and antioxidant properties known to reduce acne and skin irritation.
- Marine Collagen: A fish protein that provides the most effective type of collagen peptides to minimises fine lines and wrinkles.
- Sea Buckthorn: A true power berry grown in Asia and Europe with 190 nutrients and phytonutrients. Contains concentrated vitamin C to reduce inflammation, and plump, firm, and brighten skin. Omega 3, 6, 7, and 9 fatty acids promote added radiance.
- Kahai Seed Oil: Derived from the Cacay tree found throughout South America. A powerhouse oil that encourages delightfully glowing skin. Made up of a selection of fatty acids including linoleic acid, oleíc acid, stearic acid, palmitic acid, palmitoleic acid and myrisitic acid. Offers skin-boosting benefits thanks to high amounts of vitamin E and A.
- Bisabolol: An age-defending and antimicrobial ingredient extracted from German chamomile. Ideal for anyone with sensitive skin. Praised for its ability to reduce redness and irritation while actively hydrating dry, flaky skin. Sooth, heal, protect, repeat.
- Retinyl Palmitate: For those who can’t handle retinol, there’s a gentler retinoid alternative. This mild, effective skin smoothing solution reduces fine lines, wrinkles, uneven texture, and hyperpigmentation (dark spots). Also known as Vitamin A.
Stress-induced inflammation can worsen existing skin conditions and even lead to new ones. Additionally, the psychological toll of living with a skin condition can further exacerbate anxiety and stress levels. By practicing stress-management techniques and taking care of your skin with gentle, nourishing products, you can help improve both your skin health and your mental well-being. Remember, taking care of your skin is not just about looking good, but feeling good too.
Browse our range of products to start the journey to healthier happier you today HERE.